Sunday, June 5, 2016

Simple solutions to chronic problems!

Very often we suffer from problems without realizing that their solutions are within our easy reach. For several months now I would get up from my bed every morning with aches and pains in different parts of the body , especially the back and hip joints. Visits to the doctor followed by medication   did not help  improve the situation. Then I remembered that a few years ago I had added a soft mattress to my Kurlon bedding. I wondered if the aches & pains could be because of the unevenness  of the bed. I removed the soft mattress and started sleeping on the original Kurlon bed. Lo & Behold the aches and pains that used to greet me every morning are gone.

A friend of mine was suffering from acute arthritis problems. None of the `Pathys` (Allopathy/Homeopathy/Naturopathy)  including Ayurveda  helped him get rid of the painful condition  until he met a doctor friend.  This doctor advised him to go to a swimming pool not to  swim but walk the length of the pool in the water, up & down a couple of times every day. My friend is  now a happy man having  got rid of his chronic problem using an unusual treatment.
Most of us would have experienced `shoe bites` caused by ill fitting footwear  or the infection and itching caused by soxes  or undergarments   made of material you are allergic to.

Problems caused by inappropriate postures  at work have  been the reason for the acute back problems faced by a growing number of `techies` who sit glued to their laptops  for hours at a stretch. Right postures and taking regular breaks from work can help ease the problem

Wrong postures while reading a book can also  lead to many eye problems.  I discovered this when  I was diagnosed with Glaucoma- a dreaded eye problem which can lead to blindness-  when I was still in my mid-thirties. I found that  one of the causes was that I had the habit of reading books lying flat on my back in bed, holding the book above my eyes.  A change of this habit in addition to Magneto-theraphy and  avoiding   books printed in small types helped me overcome the problem.

For  several years I suffered  from `dry cough` often accompanied by wheezing  which sounded  like multi- organ orchestra . I used to feel miserable. Tests diagnosed  no specific problem.  The doctors would attribute it to general pollution in the atmosphere and allergy to something or the other. In  the search for identifying the source of  my allergy , my son discovered that every morning  and evening I was  in the habit of lighting up  Agarbathis  in the Puja  room as  I liked the divine feeling, caused by the fragrance  of the agarbathis. On his  suggestion I stopped lighting the agarbathis.  Sure enough, my dry coughs & wheezing slowly vanished and for the last several months I am free from the chronic problem I suffered for years.

Whenever you find that you are suffering from a  chronic problem which is not getting  cured by medicines, talk about it to friends.  Some one might help you find  a simple solution which has been evading you .

This appeared in Adyar Times issue dt. 5-1th June,2016  under my column `Rajan`s Random Reflections`

1 comment:

  1. Talking, in itself, can be palliative, in some conditions. Sharing one's concerns with someone of trust tends to lighten them, besides helping one find a solution to a particularly knotty issue or situation.

    ReplyDelete