Friday, January 4, 2019

Celebrating the memory of Prabha

Six years have flown by since the passing away of my life partner of 40 years on 5thJanuary,2013. Instead of mourning her death I have been celebrating her memory  through Prabha Rajan Talent Foundation by undertaking activities to encourage creatively  talented  women.

 Apart from being an accomplished writer in Tamil, Prabha was also interested in singing , gardening and social work. She was a house proud woman who believed in maintaining a beautiful home to which one was happy to return to every day- inspite of all the admonishing I would receive regularly for `messing up` the place.  By deciding to have my own independent space in the two story home I share with my son`s family- I feel her presence in every corner of the home. Thanks to also being surrounded by close family and  friends I don`t feel lonely but occasionally I do feel isolated. I miss  the minute to minute care and attention that one can expect only from a life partner. I try to dispel such negative thoughts by keeping my mind and body active and  friends are playing a great role in keeping me in good cheer. The arrival of a resident grandson Thavam ( my fifth grand child and my son`s first after 10 years of marriage) eight months ago has added to the cheerful atmosphere at home. He is truly a bundle of joy. It is a pity that Thavam is missing the presence of his paternal grand mother who would  have been a great help to his parents in bringing up the child- after all she was an experienced grand mother having helped my two daughters with the four children they brought into this world.

The sixth anniversary of celebrating the memory of Prabha witnessed my grand daughter Uthara Srinivasan  and her cousin Madura Muralidharan giving a scintillating carnatic music performance on 27th December,2018 at the Tag Centre in Chennai. The packed audience enjoyed  the  performance and blessed the girls a bright future. I am sure Prabha would have been happy to listen to Uthara singing her favourite Bharathiar `s song, `Chinnanchiru Kiliye..` which brought back memories  of Prabha singing this song at every opportunity she got in our social get-togethers. I had goose pimples and some tears listening to Uthara singing the soul stirring song .
While wishing my near & dear ones  all the best for 2019, I pledge to continue the activities under Prabha Rajan Talent Foundation in celebrating  the memory of Prabha.


No comments:

Post a Comment