Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Instant meals on line

What Amazon, Flipkart and a few others have done to online shopping, Swiggy, Zomato, Uber eats and others have done for the way we order, ready to eat food. A service  very popular among the younger generation. No problem entertaining  guests who  make sudden visits or even invited visits during meal times; with cuisines of their choice- Chinese,  Punjabi, South Indian,  Continental or even a`Combo`. All supplied at your doorstep within 30 to 45 minutes of ordering online.
The other day we got a call that a few relatives were dropping in to see my  resident grandson.It was nearing dinner time.  As a person who believes in entertaining guests to home cooked meals, I was wondering what to do. My son told me. ` Don`t worry, Appa. I will order food on Swiggy. Instead of wasting our time in the kitchen, we can spend it talking to the guests`. When I was concerned about laying the table and getting the serving bowls ready, he assured me that all the items come packed neatly in ready to serve containers. All that we have to keep on the table are  dinner plates, spoons , forks and a few serving spoons.  It is that simple .
My mind travelled back to the times when I would  host friends for dinner at home.  My wife  was good at cooking meals for even 20 to 30 people. On the day of the dinner the preparations would start from early morning. We would plan the menu based on which I would buy the vegetables and other items.  It was my responsibility to lay the table, get all the crockeries and other items cleaned and arranged neatly on the table- generally keep the house ready for receiving the guests while my wife would be busy in the kitchen. When it was dinner time, I would also help in filling up the cooked items in serving bowls and ensure refills regularly as the dinner progressed. I was not an MCP like most of the husbands of my time were but a 50:50 partner who believed in extending whatever help I could to my wife. Though it was  physically challenging, I used to enjoy what I was doing. At the end of the evening when guests left after thoroughly enjoying a delicious home cooked meal and praised us for the love and affection with which it was served,  our day was made. My wife, who would initially grumble about having to cook for so many people would be happy at the end of the day because of the appreciation she received  from the guests. We felt that all the hard work had paid off.
As we were growing older and our physical energy diminishing, we tried ordering food from outside  but we were not satisfied. We felt that our personal touch was lacking. We tried combining a few home cooked items with some items bought from outside. Since the passing away of my wife a few years ago, this is what I do whenever I decide to host High tea or dinner for friends.  I ensure  a couple of home cooked items on the table during such get-togethers. This makes the guests happy. I feel happy when I see them happy. The satisfaction that one gets in serving home cooked meals can never be matched by the impersonal act of hosting guests for meals using Swiggy or any such service.
 The stressed out younger generation with its own priorities may not agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment