Saturday, April 25, 2020

Another interesting recipe from Chef(!) Rajan

Kuzhi Paniyaram is a well known delicacy of Chettinad. It is also known as Paddu or Goliappa. It can be a saltish savoury or a sweet item. I am going to share with you a new recipe I tried with Kuzhi Paniyaram, which became a big hit as a starter in a party hosted by me. Since then I have been serving it as one of the items at High Tea I host for my friends.

                                                        VEGETABLE CHEESE PANIYARAM

The base is the left over Dosa Batter. It helps if the batter is a bit sour. I normally buy branded Idli/Dosa batters from  departmental stores.
Items required for this recipe:
2 medium size carrots grated
I medium size capsicum grated
1 large onion grated
Brittania or Amul Cheese cubes cut into small pieces. I cut one cube into  6 pieces.
And salt to taste
Steps:
Mix all the grated vegetables with the dosa batter and keep aside for 30  minutes.
Take the special skillet with moulds used for preparing Kuzhi Paniyaram.  After adding half tea spoon of oil of your choice ( I use Gold Winner), place it on the gas stove and light it to medium flame. As the oil is getting warm , take a table spoon and pour half table spoon of batter in all the moulds. Then Place the cut pieces of the cheese cubes in the centre. Cover up the cheese with another half table spoon of the batter. ( The same procedure you follow when you make stuffed idlis). Wait till the cooked batter turns brown and turn it carefully to ensure that both sides are brown. Cook only in medium flame.
Vegetable Cheese Paniyaram is now ready to be served with coconut chutney or even tomato sauce.
Important tip: Don`t tell the guests that it is a Cheese Paniyaram. Let them discover it on their own. The response always will be ` Oh, it  is so yummy!`

You can try one more variation. Place a piece of Date & Cheese in the centre before you pour the balance batter.  A combination of a sweet and  savoury is ready. I liked it. I am yet to try it on my guests. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment