Saturday, October 31, 2020

A fascinating novel and a broken mindset!

I just finished reading a novel titled `Uppu Kanakku` in Tamil written by the well known writer /author Vidya Subramaniam who is also the mother in law of the Celebrity TV anchor turned lawyer Sanjay Pinto. It was a fascinating novel based on the Salt Satyagraha of the freedom fighters led in the South by C.R.Rajagopalachari, popularly known as Rajaji who took 100 volunteers to Vedaranyam on the East Coast to break the Law imposed by the British Government against Salt collection by the locals. It is a brilliant piece of writing which makes  you feel as if you are  having a ringside view of the  experiences of a  family caught in the midst of the upraising. No wonder that  it is considered one of the best novels of the author which has already won several awards.  Though this is the first novel of the author I was reading,  I am a  regular reader of her daily  postings on Face Book. Written in an informal , chatty style I like the contents for their honesty and sincerity. I eagerly look forward to reading her pieces every day.

But the big news is that I read the whole novel online, in my mobile phone.  Something which I never thought I would ever do as I have always been waxing eloquent about the joy of reading a book holding it in your hands while relaxing on an  easy chair or your bed. Necessity is the mother of invention. Since the novel was out of print and was available only online, my son helped me download  the novel on kindle.  Besides since I am having trouble reading  the hard copies of books with small fonts, I found the experience of reading online very comfortable.  I have already read the latest book `SPRING` by the veteran adman  Ambi Parameshwaran online. I am currently reading the pdf version of the biography of Kalaignar Karunanidhi by the well known bilingual writer, Vaasanthi.  I am finding the whole experience of reading online thoroughly enjoyable. Makes me feel relieved that I don`t have to worry about the small fonts of printed books. One of my mindsets against reading books/magazines on line  is broken.

Thanks to the pandemic and the forced stay at home  many senior citizens have begun to enjoy reading online and also participating in zoom meetings. I am one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment