Tuesday, November 2, 2021

A Computer semi-literate

I consider myself semi-literate when it comes to computer knowledge. While I have enough knowledge to take care of my requirements as a writer and also deal with my mails, anything beyond I am at a loss. Though the computer is the most user-friendly gadget invented, my problem is my impatience in dealing with it. When I encounter even the slightest problem while working, I panic and start desperately pressing the buttons on the keyboard resulting in the friendly computer becoming unfriendly.

When I call my tech savvy son to help me out, he would come and click some buttons and presto the computer would get back to normal. The speed with which he solves the problem would often baffle me. I would ask him to explain to me what he did, so that I don`t have to disturb him again. I would then religiously note down his instructions. But the next time I face the same problem , and try to refer to the instructions given to me, I would find that I can`t read my own handwriting. So back to my son who would reluctantly solve the problem after giving me a dressing down for  being such a moron when dealing with the computer.

“How many times I have told you not to  bang the buttons. Modern day keyboards are feather touch and the moment you use force they are bound to fail you”  is the constant refrain I hear not only from my son  and but also from my equally tech savvy son in law who has a lot more patience to teach me how to get the best out of the modern day gadgets like computers, laptops, smart phones etc. But the problem  again is my poor memory which has gone from bad to worse over the years that these days I cannot  remember even simple instructions. I always envy some senior citizens who are tech savvy even in their old  age.

In spite of my discomfort with gadgets I am blessed to own all possible gadgets. Though I have been owning a PC for a long time, I was presented with  a laptop by my children on my 75th birthday. I am also a recipient of a smart phone and a Tablet from my daughter Kavitha. Do I use all of them ? The answer is “yes, I do”. I use my PC for directly keying-in  all my writings because of  the big keyboard and also to deal with my emails. While I use my laptop  as a standby and when I am travelling, I use it  mainly  for participating in zoom meetings. My comfort level with the laptop is greater with zoom meetings because of the mobility it offers. The Tablet is the latest gift which I use to see movies on OTT platforms or on  YouTube. I have begun to also down load books on the Kindle app on my Tablet. And of course  the `Over-smart phone` I use not only to be connected to the world through  WhatsApp but also for minute to minute  access to my emails, Facebook  and other messages.  Undoubtedly a smart phone is the ideal gadget for instant communication in spite of the embarrassment it causes with its auto correct service and the tendency to connect you to people without your knowledge.

While I continue to be semi-literate in dealing with the gadgets, I am proud that I own four of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment