Saturday, March 26, 2022

Another encounter with `Yama`

My article titled `My encounters with Yama` featured in my book titled `This & That .. Then & Now, lists a couple incidents in my life when I faced a possible exit from this world because of accidents involving my car. Now I have one more experience to share. It happened a week ago. After visiting  the Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Tiruvanmiyur, my son who was driving my  car (a Maruti Celerio) and I were cruising along on a side  road connecting to L.B.Road. Suddenly we realized that  a Car  from the opposite direction was  coming  towards our car. To avoid  a head on collision my son started veering the car to the left. Before we could blink- `Bang`- the opposite  car hit the  rear door behind the driver, got deflected  and stopped after  hitting  two men on their two wheelers running in front of him. In a dazed condition when we came out of the car we realized that we had narrowly escaped a major head on collision which could have been, if not  fatal would have necessitated hospitalization with serious injuries. However our car was damaged -the rear door behind the driver`s seat, the bumper and the rear wheel were damaged.  Fortunately both of us escaped without even a scratch, so also the driver who caused the accident. The two wheeler riders, however, were badly hurt. Since the driver, an old man, was not drunk people around felt that the accident could have happened because of a burst tyre or because the driver dozed off for a few seconds. As  it was not our fault and there were enough people in the crowd to take care of the injured two wheeler drivers we decided to leave the scene of the accident. My son managed to drive the car to our home, albeit slowly. It has now gone to the garage for  repair and restoration. While I  thanked my Perumal  and Sai Baba for saving us from  a catastrophe, the very thought of the accident, even after a week, sends shivers down my spine!

No comments:

Post a Comment