Saturday, May 13, 2023

I am fine with all my aches and pains

Whenever anyone asks me these days, `How are you? How is your health?`- my response usually is  `I am doing well with all the aches and pains `. At 81 I realize that however well I look after myself in terms of leading a very disciplined life, I cannot stop the aging process. I cannot stop the aches and pains that come with old age.

In the last month, I have had a problem with my right leg. Starting from the hip down the thigh and knee I get nagging  pain from time to time. Not excruciating but irritating. Making it difficult for me to go for my morning walks;  unable to sit and work on my PC or drive my car; all essential activities to keep me going. Since I believe in sharing all my problems with friends it is not surprising that I got many suggestions to resolve the problem.

A doctor in the group recommended complete bed rest. Another friend suggested applying a cold pack on the pain area; it is better to apply a hot pack suggested someone else. Applying both alternately was a third suggestion.  My Sambandhi said that the hot pack must be applied on the lower back area and not on the pain points as the lower back is the starting point for all the nerve and muscle-related problems in the leg. Go for physiotherapy, apply so and so ointment, take herbal concoction, wear a waistband, Ayurveda with oil massage is the best solution were a few other recommendations. A friend said that he had resolved a similar problem by going for a procedure with an expensive injection.

Initially, the treatment prescribed by my family doctor was for muscle-related problems. He gave me a muscle relaxant to be taken for a few days. The Physio that I consulted also confirmed this and gave me a massage using dry needle therapy ( not acupuncture). I also spent a few days at my daughter`s place taking complete rest. Since my pains continued to make me suffer and my son was sure that it was Sciatica that  I was suffering from, I went back to my family doctor who now confirmed that what I was going through was sciatica and prescribed me some medicines. My physio suggested that I continue with the exercises that he had already recommended.

Not content with all these I decided to consult Dr.Google in the matter, which I normally don`t do. Dr.G  recommends keeping a pillow between the knees while sleeping sideways at night. He also dissuades people with sciatica  from having bed rest and suggests that walking must be continued. Most important; Dr.G says the sciatica symptoms vanish after a month or two on their own. All these were also reconfirmed by my family doctor.

I am feeling better now and have started going for morning walks, though shorter than my usual time. Started pounding on my PC again though I still have a problem driving. Since I have already crossed the one-month time limit, I am hoping I will be completely rid of the problem soon. I am sure my Lord Venkatachalapathy & Shirdi Saibaba will ensure that!

No comments:

Post a Comment