Sunday, June 3, 2018

Eat `shamelessly`



 `Pandhikku Mundhu` , Padaikku Pindhu`- roughly translated,  this Tamil saying means` First  at a Feast and  the Last for a fight`. I am one of those who has been following the first part of the saying religiously whenever I attend a marriage or any other social gathering where a feast is being served. When the Muhurtham rituals are in progress I will discretely visit the dining area and find out the time when the catering team  would start serving the meals to the guests. At the appointed time I will position myself strategically so that when the door to the dining area opens I can occupy the corner seat closer to the service station, in the first row of the Hall. The idea being that when they start the service I would be the first to be served. Of course there are occasions when I would find that a few others have beaten me in the race  for the corner  seat.  Unfortunately, on many occasions the service would start from the corner seat in the opposite row with the result I would be the last to be served in that section of the `pandhi`. Imagine my utter disappointment, impatiently waiting  to be served the dishes.
I know of some senior relatives who would not proceed to the dining area unless the hosts personally invite them to do so. Some of them would even leave the marriage hall in a huff without partaking the meals, if the formality is not adhered to by the hosts. I have no such complexes. The reason why I try to occupy the first Pandhi is because I do not like to wait in a queue before entering the dining hall.  If there is no one to control the queue you will find the impatient guests getting in and waiting behind the chairs while people are still having their meals, putting enormous pressure on those guests to finish their meals early.  There would be someone who is not in a hurry to finish his or her meal, unconcerned that he or she is holding up the cleaning team from clearing the table so that a new Pandhi can be started. The moment seats are  vacated the waiting guests, irrespective of their social status,  will occupy the same, not even waiting for the cleaning team to clear the table. Who cares? Their seats are secure.
It is a different experience at the buffet meals offered at the marriage receptions held in the evenings. If you don`t enter the dining area early you will have to stand in long queues at the   counters. Some impatient guests can be seen jumping the queues much to the chagrin of the other guests. I am one of them. Since I have become very choosy about what I eat to look after my health, I first do a survey of the dishes on offer and decide on the couple of items I am going to eat.  Then I discreetly reach for them, breaking the queue with the permission of the people already in the queue who don`t mind accommodating  an old man in a hurry!
Invariably in most of the weddings,   representatives of the hosts go around  the dining hall requesting the guests  to eat well. In one of the weddings I was shocked to see a gentleman going around the Pandhi and telling guests to  `Eat shamelessly`. Later I realised that he was persuading guests to  `Eat well without feeling shy`.  In trying to show off his limited English vocabulary he had  literally translated  the Tamil equivalent into English!
This article appeared in the Adyar Times issue dt. 3-9th June,2018, under my column Rajan`s random reflections
Feedback welcome on rvrajan42@gmail.com or 984039202

No comments:

Post a Comment