Wednesday, April 24, 2019

S.Muthiah- A tribute to a dear friend

My good friend of 45 years and a well wisher is no more.  A writer, author, columnist, a Heritage activist and chronicler of political and cultural history of Madras,  passed away this afternoon after fighting a losing battle with cancer. He was 89. What is remarkable and inspirational is the fact  that until he had the last ounce of energy, he was working; either editing his favorite fortnightly Madras Musings which he had founded more than 25 years ago or churning out his weekly column for The Hindu or working on one or more of his book projects.
I can never forget Muthiah for the role he played in my becoming a writer/author post my retirement.  I had retired as the CMD of my company Anugrah Madison in 2007 at the age of 65  and had already started penning my memoirs- in fulfillment of a life  long dream of wanting to write my autobiography. I had completed a couple of chapters when I happened  to attend a meeting of the Madras Book  Club  where Mr Muthiah was speaking on the topic `Biography as History`. He was appealing to the audience consisting of many retired bureaucrats, business men and professionals  to write their memoirs, `not to become famous authors but to  leave behind for posterity a  “social history”; to  provide insights into the life, happenings, values and mores of a city or a community or a profession at a certain point of time.` He said that history is not just about kings and kingdoms but about people. His talk gave my book a focus..

 My autobiography titled `Courage My Companion` was released at a well attended meeting of the Rural Marketing Association of India held in November,2009.  I was delighted to have Mr.Muthiah  receiving the first copy. The excellent response I got for the book and my style of writing encouraged me to write essays on a variety of topics. My first article titled `The Ubiquitous Velaikari` appeared in the Eve`s Touch monthly of which Mr.Muthiah was the consultant editor. I sent an article to Madras Musings which was also published by Mr.Muthiah. Not only did he publish my articles but he would also urge me to go through the corrections he had made while editing them. He hated the use of too many adjectives  by writers. In the last 10 years,  hundreds of my articles on a variety of topics  have appeared in several local dailies and magazines.  I have also published nine books covering five genres of writing during the same period. I owe a deep debt of gratitude to Mr.Muthiah for my evolution as a writer/author. Apart from being my mentor Mr Muthiah had been a genuine well wisher.

Though a very friendly person he can be brutally frank when he talked to people. He was known for his rigid stands on issues. While he was fond of sports, he did not care much for music or dance. Inspite of his disinterest  in Carnatic music, on my special request, he attended   the first  carnatic music performance  of my  11 year old grand daughter Uthara at Tag Centre in December,2013 and wrote encouraging words about her performance in his column in the Hindu. His blessings meant a lot to my family.

He visited my home with his wife Valli to offer condolences when I lost my wife to cancer in January,2013. I did not realize at that time that Mr.Muthiah himself will become a widower when he lost Valli, his wife of over 40years,a few months later.- an irreparable loss in his life. The only time I have seen him break down  was when I went to his house to offer my condolences. I also broke down,because I know what it means to lose a life partner.

I had got closer to Mr Muthiah in the last few years.. What impressed me most was his never say die spirit. Inspite of his ill health for the last few years, he continued to work hard. He never displayed any self pity nor questioned `Why me?`. He  will drag himself to his desk and continue to work on some assignment or the other. Work for half an hour and rest for one hour.  Incredible man!

Whenever some negative thoughts enter my mind because of health issues, I think of Mr.Muthiah and his positivity. I get recharged. He was one of my role models in life. Like the legion of his friends and students I will also miss him a lot. I am sure, wherever he is he will continue to guide me to think and act positive in life.

May his soul rest in Peace!






No comments:

Post a Comment