Sunday, May 12, 2019

Arul-my eldest grand son

I remember the day Arul was born. 4th December,1996. It was around 10.30 am. I was busy giving some instructions to my secretary when the telephone rang.  It was to inform me that my elder daughter Kavitha had given birth to a baby boy. I literally jumped from my seat shouting `I have become a grand father!`. Yes I got my greatest promotion a man or a woman can ever get in life- grant parenthood! I was 54 then. While for the grand mother it was fun with some responsibility; for the grandfather it was all fun  without responsibility. I was ready to have my fun time with my first grandchild. It is indeed a pleasure to watch a baby grow in the first 2 to 3 years. Since my daughter was living in Chennai, my wife & I were lucky to spend some quality time with the baby.  The little baby 23 years ago has grown into an almost 6ft tall young man towering over all of us. All along he has been a good student particularly brilliant in maths- a subject which was a nightmare  to me in my school/college days. While his graduating  from the prestigious Purdue University in USA with distinction was anticipated , when the news accompanied by photographs of the graduation ceremony arrived by Whats App yesterday, I was thrilled beyond words.He is the first graduate from the second generation of Rajan family.
 I did not jump with joy  this time as I did not want to risk dislocating my limbs- considering  my age. However  I was reminded of what my father did when the  youngest of my  siblings ( we are three brothers & a sister) Seshadri became a graduate.  He jumped from  his easy chair shouting `today all my three sons are graduates!` as he himself was not a graduate.
Apart from being a brilliant student Arul is also good at creative writing. I had the privilege of publishing his first book- titled  ` Little Monster`   when he was only 11.  It was a fantasy thriller, full of imagination.  His professors in the college had also noticed his flair for writing and have been encouraging him to write., while pursuing his academic goals. In a couple of months, Arul will be a student in another prestigious University- Carnegie Mellon, where he will be doing  his Masters.
Arul is a mature young man, willing to work hard to achieve his goals.  I am proud of him . I wished his grandmother Prabha was here to see him blossom into a lovable young man. I pray god to bestow on him best of health & a long life. May he realize all his dreams in life  and keep celebrating his life every day!

This piece will not be complete without acknowledging the stupendous role that both RU & Kavitha have played in helping Arul become what he has today. God Bless the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment