Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Krish Chitale- A Tribute

Chennai has become poorer with  the loss of one more pillar of Chennai Society . S.L.Chitale, popularly known as `Krish` to his legion of friends and well wishers succumbed to the dreadful Cancer on 20th May,2019. He was 87. The second generation of the well known architectural firm, Chitale & Sons, Krish was  known ,not only for  path breaking designs for buildings but also for his architectural ethics. Between 1952 and 2003, the year Krish handed over the mantle to his son Kapil Chitale, he was  actively involved  in designing landmark buildings in South India and  also gaining reputation as a socially committed human being, who worked relentlessly for the uplift of the downtrodden and needy.

I first met Krish Chitale when he visited Mumbai as the President of Round Table India in 1969, and I was a new member of the Bombay  West Round Table No.6. Krish came across as a serious, self-effacing but determined person. I learnt that he was the founder of Round tables in India. I did not realise then that one day I will be working closely with him not only in  Round Table but also in Rotary, after I moved to Chennai in 1974. Krish was one of those friends who opened a whole new world to me-  a world of wonderful friends and committed social service.. He showed me how fellowship can lead to social service. I can never forget the 8 years I spent as the Founder Trustee and Secretary of Round Table Foundation of which Krish was the Chairman. He was a task master who pushed you to perform to the best of your abilities. Later I was to work closely with him on the Polio pulse campaign of Rotary Clubs, as a publicity convenor. I learnt a lot from him.Those were tough but memorable days.

While he and his son have kept the flag of Chitale & Son flying high as a leading architect firm in South India, Krish’s total involvement in several voluntary organisations helped him gain the
reputation of a social activist with a difference. A true believer in the ‘Service Above Self ’ motto of the RotaryMovement, Krish contributed his professional expertise as an architect free for all the projects he was involved in. All the voluntary organisations he was involved with, including the Masonic Lodge, have been beneficiaries of Krish’s huge network of friends abroad. For his sustained and dedicated service he got several awards from Rotary, including the RI 3230 Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008.

Krish is also known for his penchant for the preservation of heritage in the city. “I am a die-hard believer in conserving heritage buildings. I have made sure that whenever we renovate such buildings, we respect them for what they are because they are our history”.said Krish in an interview for an article I wrote on `Chitales of Madras ` for Madras Musings.

Chitale enjoyed parties and people. Just three  months ago he hosted a dinner for our common friend Bob Chandran at the Madras Club for Bob being conferred the  Life Time Achievement Award by a leading textile Association of India.. When  I met him last month at his home he looked down but not deafeated. Inspite of his failing health, he told me  he continued to attend office for a couple of hours every day. I admired  his spirit. I did not expect  the end to  come so soon.

I am sad that within three months Chennai has  lost three veterans who were role models in my  life .First it was Charukesi, then S. Muthiah and now Krish.  

Please join me in praying for Krish Chitale`s soul to rest in peace!


1 comment: