Sunday, May 31, 2020

Burnt but not extinguished

Tragedy struck the Adyar Saravana Bakery at Bessy  where a group of my walking  friends used to meet for a cup of coffee every morning after a brisk walk on the Elliots Beach road at  Besant  Nagar. With the friendly Velu , owner of the bakery/coffee shop  serving customized coffee; with half, full  or without sugar, with nattu chakkarai ( powdered jaggery) or even Sugar free tablets! He would make it strong or medium strong coffee, depending on the choice of his regular customers. He truly believed in delighting his customers.

The shop was gutted by fire one evening last week.  It was a coincidence that I had gone to see my Ayurvedic doctor across the road from the coffee shop around 5 pm. After nearly two months it was pleasure to see the lovely Elliots beach front . Thanks  to the restrictions the road was empty with no vehicles or people walking. As I was returning to my car I witnessed that  my favourite coffee shop was open. only to get some work done in preparation for the lifting of the lockdown. I took a keepsake picture of the shop, least realising that the shop would be gutted by fire in another hour because of a gas burst. The photo ( attached )  I took would be the last photo of the shop before the fire accident. While there was no casualty ,the insides of the shop with all the baking equipment & stocks of snacks was  totally gutted  by fire. I felt bad and felt something must be done to help Velu & his family, who were already suffering with no income  because of the lockdown. The tragedy was compounded by the fact that Velu had not insured the shop.

Thanks to Velu`s  immense belief in  his Perumal, friends and well wishers  have swung into action to bail him out. My group of friends have raised enough funds to  take care of the complete electrical job in the shop. The restoration work has started . I hope Velu will be  ready with his ever friendly service in the renovated shop by the time the beaches are open to the public. Like all my walking friends I am eagerly looking forward to resuming my morning walks at the beautiful Elliots Beach front followed by the aromatic Kumbakonam  degree coffee with half tea spoon `Nattu Chakkarai` accompanied by the boisterous gossip sessions with friends!

Saravana story reminds me  of `Liberty`  the iconic brand of ready made shirts , popular in sixties and seventies. The day after their factory was completely gutted by fire they released  an advertisement in all the leading newspapers in Bombay with the headline `Liberty- Burnt but not extinguished`


I would like to say- Adyar Saravana Bakery- Burnt but not extinguished`

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mr Rajan, I hope you are well. I have recently been looking at old family photos which led me to read your book Courage My Companion. My Great Uncle is Homi Kharas and I was pleased to read your excellent account of him and Everest Advertising. I am the Grand son of his sister Hilla.

    Greetings and best wishes from London, England.

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete