Friday, June 12, 2020

Landing a dream job in advertising

Right through my college days when  I was studying for a B.Com degree, I was clear that I wanted to take up advertising as a career, though advertising was not considered a career for a boy from lower middle class those days. .Luckily for me, by the time I had finished my four years in college, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan had started the first ever P.G.Diploma Course in advertising in Bombay, in which I promptly enrolled.

Apart from doing a day job and attending evening classes, I was also a part time tutor at the Podar College of Commerce, taking classes on ‘Salesmanship & Publicity’ for students of  the Diploma in Commerce course.  During this period, I got involved in organizing an exhibition on advertising for the  Commercial Museum.of the Podar College which gave me a legitimate excuse for visiting  leading advertising agencies like JWT, Lintas, Bomas, Clarion, etc., seeking materials, photographs and advertising clippings required for the exhibition. These trips also helped me see first hand the insides of ad agencies and meet some veterans of advertising, which only enhanced my interest in the subject.

 Around this time, Clarion Advertising which had just entered into a tie up with McCann, advertised for Management Trainees. After passing the first two rounds of interviews in Bombay I was selected for the final interview in Calcutta. Friends advised me that to get a job in an advertising agency, I must
be properly attired. Since I could not afford to buy a new suit, I  borrowed a black blazer from the nearby laundry on rent for a week. It was not a perfect fit,I probably looked more funny than smart, but I had a coat to wear for the interview.

I  landed in Calcutta on a Friday evening as  the interviews were scheduled on Saturday
and Sunday. Sitting in the reception of Clarion next morning  I felt nervous  looking at the other candidates. Most of them were sons and daughters of parents who belonged to the upper strata, as was
evident from the way they looked, dressed and talked!. It only added to my complex when I learnt that most of the other candidates had their college education in prestigious institutions  like St. Stephens, Delhi, or St. Xavier’s, Calcutta. I didn’t have to worry because  I was the only guy in the group who
was doing a PG Diploma in Advertising, which gave me a distinct edge over the others, as I found during the group discussions on the second day. I was thrilled when I learnt at the end of the day  that I had done well and that I can expect an appointment letter soon.

On my return to Bombay, I got busy putting  together the exhibition on advertising for which dates had already been fixed. With the help of some students, we had got all the display panels ready and I went around trying to identify a chief guest. I was lucky that the legendary Edward J. Fielden the then Chief of J. Walter Thompson (JWT), the biggest agency in India, agreed to be the Chief Guest and inaugurate the exhibition.

After the inaugural function, at the informal tea session, Mr. Fielden who was obviously impressed with me offered me a job in JWT as a Trainee. He said, “Well, normally boys pay money and get trained in JWT. But I will see that you get a stipend of Rs. 60/- per month”. I was on cloud nine since
I already had offers from the top two agencies of the country. I thanked Mr. Fielden profusely and told him that I would get back to him. The letter of appointment from Clarion, which arrived within a week,
helped me make up my mind in favour of Clarion which  offered me Rs. 250/- per month with a promise that I would be confirmed as Junior Account Executive and would get Rs. 550/- per month at the end of a
year’s training. I was delighted that I had landed my dream job in the second largest advertising agency, even before I had completed my advertising course. My tryst with the advertising profession had begun!


( Excerpted from my autobiography titled `Courage My Companion`)

1 comment:

  1. I’m Артур Борис a resident/citizen of the Republic Of Russian. I’m 52 years of age, an entrepreneur/businessman. I once had difficulties in financing my project/business, if not for a good friend of mine who introduced me to Mr Benjamin Lee to get a loan worth $250,000 USD from his company. When i contacted them it took just five working days to get my loan process done and transferred to my account. Even with a bad credit history, they still offer their service to you. They also offer all kinds of loan such as business loans, home loans, personal loans, car loans. I don’t know how to thank them for what they have done for me but God will reward them according to his riches in glory. If you need an urgent financial assistance contact them today via email lfdsloans@outlook.com  WhatsApp information...+1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete