Monday, June 8, 2020

My formula for success in life

I spent  four years pursuing a degree in Commerce from Bombay University.. During every summer vacation ,I used to take up temporary jobs to earn enough money to look after my college fees. My last summer job as Accounts Assistant at Dharamsi Morarjee Chemicals, which was otherwise routine, was memorable because of a meeting I had with Mr.Shukla,  the Sales Manager  on the last day of my stint at the company.

Watching him in action from my corner table  I  had  become his ardent fan. I am a pushy person by nature. On the last day of my job, I barged into his room and requested him to spare me a few minutes. Though he was initially annoyed at my insolence, when I told him who I was and the purpose for which I wanted to meet him., he  relaxed and asked me to take my seat.

After giving him a brief background about myself, I told him about my plans to become an adman and sought his advice in the matter. Much to my surprise, he was categorical that advertising might not suit me and explained why. He felt that advertising at that point of time was meant for people with social
standing. My lower middle class background would keep me down in the ad world, even if I found a job.

Though I did not follow his advice regarding a career in advertising, I took  two other pieces of advice that he gave me seriously which have helped me evolve as a compassionate and good human being, successful in every thing I have attempted to do  over the years.

Advice No. 1: Since you will be starting on a career in a couple of
years, you must introspect and prepare a balance sheet of your plus points
and minus points. Show this balance sheet to a few of your near and dear
ones to add or eliminate some points. Having got a final list, you must
make a sincere attempt to convert each one of the minus point to a plus
point. It will take you a whole lifetime to do this but the efforts will be
worthwhile.

Advice No. 2: Do not judge the success of a person based on how
he lives or the amount of money he makes. He may have all the money
in the world but in the process of accumulating that wealth and enjoying
the pleasures that such wealth can provide, he would have missed out on
important values in life — values pertaining to relationship with people.

To become a really successful person in life, start at being a good son, a good brother, a good friend, a good student, a good spouse, a good father, a good employee, a good boss and so on.  In other words, you must be successful in every role that you are called upon to play in life. He said that this would take you a whole life time to achieve. But the goodwill that you would have created will guarantee you
greater happiness than all the money in the world can buy. Money can help you buy pleasures but not happiness.

I have followed this advice throughout my life. It has not been easy but I know that I have tried my best. I am happy to say that at 78, I feel that I have led a far more fulfilling life than many so-called-successful people that I have come  across!

My bank of good will is always over flowing  because of which I am able to help any one seeking any kind of help from me. I have discovered, over the years,  that there is no other joy greater than the Joy of giving!


( Excerpted from my autobiography titled `Courage My Companion)

No comments:

Post a Comment