Saturday, July 18, 2020

Every Thing Happens for the Good

 My colleague B in Clarion was a handsome Sardar, impeccably attired, who brooked no nonsense from
anybody. While I was known as ‘Crisis Rajan’, he was nick named ‘Urgent Singh’, since every job from his clients was urgent. An incident involving both of us  almost cost me my life but helped me learn a valuable lesson(!) in life from B.

After a couple of months in Clarion he quit to join MCM, the hottest new agency Bombay those days.,. As part of his salary package, B had got an advance from the company  to buy a second hand car. He promptly bought one without knowing how to drive. He rode a two wheeler those days.

 Within a week of his leaving Clarion, I got a call from B one evening, “Hey Rajan! Good news, I have bought a car and got possession of the same this afternoon. And you are going to drive that car back to
my home at Khar”. I was rattled. I had gone to a driving school to get my driving license but I  had no practice. Besides I had never driven a car in the night. My loud protests were dismissed and he landed at Clarion promptly at 6.00 pm requesting me to take to the wheel.

 “It is my car, I know I am taking a risk. So what is your problem?” I did not have the courage to tell him that he was risking both our lives! Anyway, I drove the car very slowly and reached his residence at Khar after 2½ hours — a distance a good driver could cover in one hour in normal traffic those days. I was relieved when I delivered B safely at his house, after a torturous journey. I thought the episode was behind me. It was not to be!
 Next morning, a Saturday, it was pouring cats and dogs. Around 9 am, I heard a knock on my door. I was shocked to find B standing with a sheepish grin.

“Rajan, you are going to teach me driving yaar!”

I screamed, “Are you mad? In this rain you want me to teach? I could do with some practice myself!” When I asked him “Where’s the car?” he said with a mischievous smile, “In front of your house. Simple
yaar! I know how to change gears because of my experience in riding the two-wheeler. So I managed to drive the car up to your house!”

He literally dragged me out, once again admonishing me for my lack of courage, so typical of a ‘Saala Madrasi’. With great reluctance, I decided to take the car in the pouring rain to Carter Road in Bandra, a road running parallel to the sea front with parapet walls. The road was fairly empty and when we reached one end of the road, B took the wheel and I began explaining to him the gear system and how to coordinate between the clutch and the accelerator. After the initial briefing, B started the car.
I kept giving him instructions, “Now change to second gear, now third and now fourth”. The car picked up speed and suddenly, in the pouring rain, it started skidding. As a novice myself, instead of asking him to slow down by changing gears, I shouted for him to apply the brakes, which he promptly did. The car took several spins and stopped after hitting the parapet wall. Due to the impact, my head hit the wind shield and I passed out! When I came back to senses,  I was staring  at the face of B. I found my head throbbing with pain with a bleeding gash on my forehead.

 When he told me, “Rajan, everything happens for the good, yaar”. I was livid! Here I was with a bleeding injury (while nothing had happened to the Sardar, thanks to his  pagdi (turban)  and he was telling me that something good had happened!

 He explained, “Imagine, if this accident had happened on Link Road, we could have knocked off a few other cars & people and we  would be in serious trouble.`

What logic! Though I was very upset, B taught me an important lesson in life. Don’t get bogged down by mishaps! Always look at the positive side  of every experience and you will find life interesting!

He was kind enough to put me in a taxi and send me home. B never again bothered me with crazy requests!


Excerpted from my autobiography titled `Courage My Companion`

No comments:

Post a Comment