Friday, August 7, 2020

Inspiring story of Mrs Kanaka Sharma

This is one more story to prove that age is no barrier to realize your dreams. The story of Mrs Kanaka Sharma, who started seriously writing short stories in Tamil at the age of 89 and has become a published author with her first book of short stories at the age of 92. Mrs Kanaka Sharma is the mother in law of one of my Rotarian friends K.S.jayaraman. I met her at his home three years ago. In the course of our conversation Uma , Jayaraman`s wife, told me that her mother had started writing short stories and was keen to get it published in some Tamil magazine. And whether I could help. Since bringing to limelight talented women writers in Tamil has been one of the objectives of Prabha Rajan Talent Foundation started in memory of my late wife Prabha , I told Uma that I will try. I sent two of Mrs Sharma`s stories to my contacts in the Tamil magazine world and forgot about it. One morning a few weeks later, I got a call from Mrs Sharma bubbling with excitement. She was delighted beyond words to find her story published in the Diwali special of Ladies Special, a Tamil monthly edited by the dynamic Girija Raghavan, considered an `one woman army` in the Tamil literary world. Encouraged by the response Mrs Sharma started writing more stories based on the characters she has come across in her long life. They were simple stories reflecting Mrs Sharma`s sense of observation and her memory for events that happened a long time ago. When she was ready with a sufficient number of stories , I suggested that I can help her self- publish a book of short stories written by her. Girija Raghavan was kind enough to offer her professional help in bringing out the book, with an interesting Foreword by her. Thanks to the unexpected Covid 19 crisis the publication got delayed and was out just two days ago. In the attached picture you see the beaming Mrs Sharma holding the first copy of her first book titled `Ninaivugalin Thalattu`. When I asked her how does it feel to hold the book in her hands, she said it felt like she was holding another new born grandchild. Mrs Sharma`s is a typical story of women of older generation, who suppressed their creative talents and sacrificed their dreams for the sake of the family, very often trying to fulfil their dreams through their children. I appeal to all such women to come out of their closets and make efforts to go after their child hood dreams and make them happen. It will help if the children also extend a helping hand . As Mrs Sharma`s three daughters and two sons are doing. God bless them. My reward for being a catalyst in Mrs Sharma`s creative journey is the abundant blessings that she has been showering on me and my family. I am happy to see her Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment