Sunday, January 23, 2022

My encounter with Omicron!

Though I managed to escape the Covid attack in the first two waves and was happily cruising along following all the SOPs during my outings and getting ready to have a booster dose of Covishield, god had different plans. He decided to give me the booster in the form of Omicron. I don`t think I will need another booster shot in the near future! Since the impact of Omicron is not severe my symptoms have also been mild. Apart from the initial days of extreme fatigue with no fever and some throat infection, I was advised home quarantine by my family doctor, who has also been treating me with medicines. Fortunately, I have a good support system at home to help me with my needs. However, the self-isolation without outside contacts was depressing. I missed my morning walks at Bessy and missed meeting my friends at Saravanas where we usually meet for gossip and custom made Kumbakonam degree coffee served by Velu.

Since yesterday I had finished two weeks of home quarantine and feeling much better, I took permission from my family doctor to visit my favourite temple and attend to some chores. My walking friend Rajamannar, a good Samaritan, accompanied me during this outing. What a relief it was to see the outside world after two weeks. Thank god I did not get into a serious depression mode as some of my contacts have gotten into. I look forward to happier days ahead.

My mind went back to the time when all of us used to get an attack of `FLU ` popularly known as Viral fever every year during the colder season. One member in the family would  get it and soon the whole family would be down with the Viral fever. Talking about the treatment it used to be said that `with` medicines the Viral fever will go away within seven days and `without` medicines it will last for a week.” In other words the disease will last its mandatory stay in your body before disappearing. Nothing to worry. And life went on.

The deadly Corona Virus has changed all that. The devastation it has caused has made people live in constant fear. I hope the Omicron variety, which is spreading fast among people, albeit with low impact, will help people come out of the fear psychosis. Hope 2022 will teach us that Covid is just another form of `flu` and learn to live with it.

Praying God that during 2022 he will help us make up for whatever we have lost in the last two years and live our lives the way we want to live!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment