Sunday, June 12, 2022

My first holiday after the pandemic.

After several years I went on an extended holiday. To be precise it was a ten-day holiday in Coimbatore coinciding with the `Palkachi`  ( Milk Boiling) ceremony that my daughter Sowmya had scheduled for 9th June at her new home in Air Force Naval Housing Enclave in Ganapathy.  Her family is shifting from Bangalore to CBE  in August. I went ten days earlier because I wanted to meet my old friends and a few close relatives in CBE. It was my first holiday after the pandemic.

Coimbatore is the city where I learnt the true meaning of friendship when I was active in Round Table. I also met a few friends living in popular Senior Citizens Homes to get first-hand information about life in such Homes. With pleasant weather for ten months in a year, Coimbatore has become THE place for  Senior Citizen Homes mainly for the upper-middle and upper-class citizenry. Since I am not confident about traveling alone these days, my walking friend and a fellow Rotarian, Balu (Balasundaram), who has business interests in Tiruppur and a home in Coimbatore volunteered to accompany me to CBE and back by air. I am glad that I accepted Balu`s invitation to stay at his beautiful home in CBE. It was a five-star comfort that  I experienced. The variety of tasty food (especially the egg dosa) that I consumed has made me put on 3 kgs. in ten days. I was overwhelmed by the wonderful hospitality of Balu and his wife Kala during my stay with them.

 I also stayed at the Vedantha Satsang, a new senior citizen Home in Kovaipudhur as a guest of my schoolmate Raju, who has a villa in the complex. The facility is new and did not have many people staying there. The two-day stay at this facility gave me a practical idea about what it feels like to live in such a facility. I also visited a few other Homes to talk to my friends and a few other inmates.  (Await another article from me on the subject based on my talk with inmates of these Homes).

While in CBE I did not miss visiting the big  Shirdi Sai Baba temple on the two Thursdays I was there. During the stay, I also managed to find the time to read two books and finished proofreading my interview-based articles in Madras Musings to be featured in a book ( my 12th in 13 years)that  I am planning to publish to coincide with my 80th birthday in August. On the whole, it was a memorable holiday, totally relaxing.

After enjoying the salubrious weather in CBE I returned to Chennai to face the unbearable heat that has been scorching the city for several days. It feels like  landing  in hell after staying in a heaven for 10 days. It is quite possible that I may shift to CBE to a Home when I decide not to be a burden on my children in my old age! The weather in Coimbatore is certainly a factor that is likely to influence my choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment