Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Celebrating Onam with walking friends

I have had Onam Sadya meals served at the  family outings of my Rotary Club  celebrating the Onam festivals where all the family members participate.  Invariably  they were fun mornings with Kolam contest for ladies, games for children and  a Rotarian dressed as a Mahabali going around entertaining guests. It used to be sit down meals served on Banana leaves, where the items used to be served in the prescribed order.  I had the freedom  to accept or not accept an item being served on my plate to avoid wastage. I never like wasting food that is once served on my plate.

But the experience that I had with the Onam Sadhya that I attended today with some of my walking friends at Sangeetha Hotel in Adyar was different. It was a pre-set meal consisting of nearly 25 items served on a stainless steel plate. While the food was reasonably  good and the service was excellent, I found the very sight of the plate with so many items filled up my stomach. With great difficulty I could consume only half of what was already served in small cups. I glanced around and found that none of my  friends could eat every  thing that was served and there was quite a bit of wastage. I felt bad. But then this is what happens in many weddings which I attend.

On the positive side I did enjoy the company of my friends and the usual banter that goes with it. There was also retro music of old Tamil and Malayalam songs belted out by C.A.Raja of the Pranavam team. He happily obliged our team singing songs requested by some including mine- the song was `Kalangalil Aval Vasantham` by P.B.Sinivas, which is one of my all time favourites. The get together ended with enough photos taken inside the restaurant and the last one taken in front of the hotel with the floral kolam. On the whole it was an enjoyable morning. Wish all Malayalee friends a Happy Onam. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment