Saturday, October 22, 2022

An unforgettable Diwali gift!

The ninety year old Tamil literary monthly  Kalaimagal has carried my short story titled `Ilamai Thudippu` ( Pulse of the youth) in its Diwali issue this year.  It is appearing  along side the stories of many eminent writers in Tamil. I am thrilled at this special Diwali gift from Kizhambur, the editor of Kalaimagal . I wrote this unpublished story  in Tamil 60 years ago when I was still in college, when I was a Tamil fanatic  writing essays, stories and plays in Tamil. While  a couple of my plays were staged by a group of my friends in  which I also acted, the stories were only  circulated among friends and relatives.

 Kalaimagal has published a couple of my short stories and travelogues in the past in its regular issues  and Diwali issues. But they were all Tamil translations of my original articles in English. This is the first time that my story which I wrote in Tamil has been published. I can`t believe that I wrote this story . Because today  I can`t even compose a simple  sentence in Tamil without struggle as I am out of touch writing in Tamil for over 55 years.  Judging by the response I am getting from  some friends to  `Ilamai Thudippu` it is time that I get out of my mental block and start writing more stories in Tamil. To do that I must first learn to type in Tamil. That is the next Challenge I will take up seriously.

Since I don`t know how to send a link to the article in the Diwali issue, I am attaching the scanned copy of the story which has appeared in Kalaimagal. If my friends on FB who know Tamil find it difficult to read  & want a clearer copy  I can send the article as a word document. Please connect with me on rvrajan42@gmail.com.

I have two more good news to share this Diwali. More about it in my next posting.

Wishing all my friends on FB  a very happy Diwali!

No comments:

Post a Comment