Tuesday, March 28, 2023

My understanding of Chat GPT

I have been hearing about the new AI-based service called Chat GPT ( Generative Pre-Trained Transformer) which, I understand,  is posing a big challenge to Google knowledge. Google says that  `Chat GPT is a large-scale language generation model developed by Open AI which can understand and respond to text-based inputs in a human-like manner`. This technical explanation went over my head. My tech-savvy brother, provided me a simple explanation. He said Google can provide information on any subject in any language instantly but you have to work on its application. Chat GPT gives you intelligent responses to your queries based on the inputs  in text form. You can request Chat GPT to draft a letter to a client on specific issues or you can ask it to give you the text for a speech you have to deliver, the options are limitless. My brother  went one step further by demonstrating the use of GPT by requesting it to compose a poem on his brother (me). I am reproducing below the query posed by him and  the instant ( just a few seconds) response from  Chat GPT.

Request from my brother:

“Compose a poem about my brother Varada who is 80 years old and full of energy”

 This was ChatGPT `s response:

 

Varada, dear brother of eight decades old,

Yet full of energy, like one who's just bold.

Your vitality defies the years gone by,

Your spirit shines, and your eyes never shy.

 

You move with grace and zest in every stride,

With passion and gusto that never subside.

Your laughter echoes, a joyous symphony,

And your voice rings true, with pure harmony.

 

You've lived a life full of adventure and glee,

And the world has been a better place for thee.

Your heart is kind, and your soul is pure,

Your wisdom endures, like a timeless lure.

 

Varada, dear brother, we honor you so,

For the life you've lived, and the love you bestow.

May your light continue to shine ever bright,

And your energy fuel your spirit's flight.

Needless to say that I was both surprised and shocked to read the poem, which I thought reflected the opinion that people have about me. My brother  had not given any other information except stating my name, age, and relationship with him and one description about me being `full of energy`. Amazing response from Chat GPT indeed.

 While I am not going into the debate about its use and misuse by people, as a person who has been using Google Knowledge extensively, I must  try and use Chat GPT as a writer/speaker. I am excited about the possibilities.

 For those interested in enriching their knowledge about Artificial Intelligence and particularly about ChatGPT please read a special report on the topic in the latest issue (2nd April,2023) of The Week magazine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment