Friday, September 1, 2023

New educational opportunities in India

The other day I was chatting with my grandson Keshav (20). He is doing his under graduation at Shiv Nadar Institute of Eminence in Noida studying for a degree in B.Sc (Research) Biotechnology. While the name of the University intrigued me the course that he was pursuing also made me think of the new educational opportunities that await young students today. In our days and for a long time the only popular courses were a degree in Arts, Commerce or Science leading to a career as a teacher, chartered accountant, engineer, or doctor. Students who had special talents in sports or any creative field were told that it is safer to have a degree in some subject before pursuing one`s passion because a degree can guarantee you a job if the passion does not help you earn a living.

 I was therefore surprised to see some creative work that Keshav has been doing as a part of his Biotechnology course. When I probed him about this he said,  “Our Coursework involves a lot of inter-departmental content. Doing courses in the Fine Arts department demanded a new creative outlook rarely encountered in the science field. For example, photography submissions asked us to get inventive with our submissions based on the assignment. The creative freedom given is virtually infinite and very exciting for everyone. In my art assignment, I took up the challenge of replicating photo edits using physical pieces of paper instead of using the software facilities available on the computer for such an assignment.  Though a  tricky & difficult process, it was fun!”

The results of such a  creative effort that he showed me were indeed fascinating.

He told me that the college also emphasizes the importance of doing internships during the summer and making sure students get a long enough break to support that. This vacation Keshav did an internship at the Indian Institute of science, Bangalore where he explored the field of ecology, working on the effect of climate change on birds in India.   He also did a design internship working with the marketing team at Seven Sarees, a business run by one of his cousins. I was impressed with the variety of promotional photos that Keshav had taken as a part of the assignment.

When I asked Keshav what he hopes  to do in the future he gave the following reply;

“My dream has and always will be to never compromise on my passion to explore and learn as much as I can and follow that wherever it takes me. Every step I have taken in life till now has shown that there is an infinite world out there and my goal is to simply experience everything I possibly can while fully investing every part of myself to help me grow”

 Very unusual and mature response. God bless him!

His sister Uthara who did a double graduation in Bsc and BEd in biology from Azim Premji University in Bangalore is doing her post-graduation in `Evolutionary genetics, evolution and systematics ` at the prestigious LMU University in Munich, Germany.  A subject I have never heard of! Azim Premji University is another institution that encourages the all-round development of a student.

Unlike our times,  today`s children, thanks to the internet, are exposed to all kinds of opportunities available to them. Parents are well advised to allow them to pursue what they want instead of forcing them to do what they think is right for them. Very often they try to realize their unfulfilled dreams through their children.

There are good institutions like Shiv Nadar & Azim Premji universities that are helping children realize their full potential. I am sure that there are many more about whom I am not aware of. I also understand that the New Education Policy of the government is trying to rectify the anomalies of the old system and introduce systems and courses that will ensure that children get holistic education which stands them in good stead in the careers they choose. Hope the NEP is effectively implemented by State Governments!

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. My granddaughter Ananya is also studying in Shiv Nader Noida. She is interested in writing so is persuing English (hon) 2nd Year.
    Recently she organized a TedX event there . The education is certainly changing.

    ReplyDelete