Saturday, January 13, 2024

How to make at least one person happy every day

Since I retired from my job at the age of 65, I have discovered the great joy of making other people happy. When people around me are happy I feel happy. In the last few years, I have publicly declared my latest policy to make at least one person happy every day. Friends ask me, how do I do it? The answer lies in my nature to help others. In all my life, whenever anyone approaches me for any help I would never say `not possible` but say, `I will try`. Thanks to the goodwill I enjoy among my large number of friends and contacts, I can connect the person seeking help to a person who is in a position to help. In 80% of the cases, the problem gets resolved making the person grateful to me for helping. It could be anything from a request for school admission, seeking a job, looking for an alliance, a medical condition, a problem with a government department, seeking a donation, a loan, or many other reasons people seek help and advice from friends. This is one way to make people happy but how do I practice it every day? It happens by instinct.


Godman Sri Sri Ravishankar of Art of Living fame advises his millions of followers to keep smiling and create a positive feeling for you. I try to follow this advice and do not hesitate to greet anyone I meet during my morning walks or in any public places. I make it a practice to call or visit senior citizens who are living alone and looking for someone to talk to. Offer them any help they need then. I know of a nonagenarian friend`s wife who is a voracious reader. I regularly supply her with new books in exchange for those she has already read. The reward I get for my good deed is to be fed with some delicious snacks she lovingly prepares, once in a while.

Every year I buy the special Diwali issues of some popular Tamil magazines and circulate them in rotation among a few of my friends, all senior citizens. They look forward to this unusual service from me with great expectation. I feel happy when they are happy.
I am also prompt in appreciating people for their little and big achievements. A handshake, a pat on the back, or even a simple word of appreciation makes people happy. During my walks in the mornings at Bessy ( Besant Nagar Beach front in Chennai), I come across families with small, cute kids. Occasionally I stop and pet the child and tell the parents “ A smart kid. He will go places in life. God Bless”. The happiness on the face of the proud parents is to be seen to be believed.

Then there are scores of other small acts you can perform that make people happy. Like having small talks with service providers like electricians, plumbers, and mechanics who come to repair equipment. Enquire about their background, their families, or the simple act of offering them a glass of water or a cup of tea. I also derive great joy when I see the surprised and happy look on the faces of call drivers, auto drivers & vendors when I pay them more than what is due to them. I can go on. If giving becomes a habit it will surely generate a lot of happiness among the recipients of your kindness, and you will be happy that you are leading a purposeful life instead of just existing in the world.

 

 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment