Sunday, June 4, 2023

A memorable musical evening!

In the last few years, I have been following the policy of making at least one person happy daily. Yesterday I made a group of my walking friends very happy at a musical evening I had organized, where members in the group with a talent for singing performed delighting the audience consisting of nearly 40 senior citizens. While a few songs were based on carnatic genre , most of the participants belted out popular film songs in Tamil and Hindi in some of which members of the audience also participated. My sambandhi ( son`s father In law) was the last to show his talent for playing the harmonica, which he learned to play three years ago when he was 65, during the lockdown period. Many others had also honed their talent for singing during the pandemic. It was clear that everyone was having a good time and there was good bonding among members- one of the purposes of the get-together. The 90 minutes show concluded with a sumptuous and delicious High Tea consisting of a sweet ( jangri) , veg. samosa and a cutlet.

The idea for such a get-together came to me when I witnessed a new and comparatively young member of the walking group displaying his talent for singing one morning at our usual meeting place at the Elliots beach. I decided to rope in other talented members in the group and have a show where they could display their hidden talents. I must say that the idea clicked judging by the demand for more such shows at regular intervals from the audience. It was agreed that in future we can think of other forms of entertainment like a humour show, a Karaoke night or even small skits to be performed by members with talents for acting. The enthusiasm generated by the show was palpable.

I must thank my good friend Vishwakumar, the owner of the flat converted into an air-conditioned meeting hall, who offered the venue with a seating capacity of 50 people free! He informed the audience that he has been offering the facility free as a social service to selected people who want to conduct music/dance classes, religious discourses, or even friendly family get-togethers subject to certain conditions.

True to my style of organizing any show, the meeting started on time and ended on time. I must thank all the friends who turned up on time and also the performing group who came prepared with the songs they had selected for the evening.

A memorable evening spent in the company of good friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment