Saturday, March 30, 2024

An update on my life at Nana Nani

It has been a month since I moved into Nana Nani (Phase -4) a senior citizen's home in Coimbatore. Many of my friends want to know if I have settled down and if the place meets my expectations. I am more than satisfied with the place and the various services that the Home offers. I am staying in a two-bedroom apartment in one of the six blocks of apartments on the second floor. I was lucky to get a furnished flat including a fridge and washing machine. Even the curtains, bed covers and a few things required for the kitchen like the Induction stove, some utensils, and other essential items were provided by my daughter Sowmya, who is settled in Coimbatore. I must thank her and my son-in-law Sathya, for their help in setting up my new home.


Within a week I got close to a few residents some of whom I knew earlier. A good Samaritan among the new friends gave me his spare Smart T-V at a concessional rate. Another friend not only gave me his set-top box free but offered his car, which was lying idle most of the time, for my use when required. I am overwhelmed by the love and affection shown by many friends here. I don`t feel like a stranger at all. The weather in Coimbatore is so far good. I am comfortable under the fan. Though it is hot in the afternoons, one does not sweat like a pig as you do in Chennai.

My daily routine starts at 4.30 am. After the morning ablutions, I am at my workstation at 5.00 am. pounding on my laptop whatever I have planned for the day. I do my Chair Yoga between 6.30 & 7.15 am. It is followed by a 30-minute walk within the beautiful campus during which I exchange greetings with other walkers. There is no post-walk group meetings like in Chennai. That happens only after each meal session outside the dining hall. Though I am enjoying the walk here, I do miss the walk on the Bessy in Chennai, seeing the sunrise every morning. Needless to say, I also miss the fun time I used to have with friends in the Elliot group or the Elite group , having customized degree coffee served by Velu which would charge my battery for the day!

After the walk I spend 10 minutes reading the morning newspaper in the lobby of the dining hall and then proceed for the breakfast in the first batch starting at 8.00am. I return to my room and have my bath followed by Pooja rituals. I then relax with a book or try to get back to my laptop to continue with whatever I was writing in the morning.

It is now time for lunch. I attend the second batch at 1.00pm. The menu is typically Tam-Brahm fare. I like it. Post lunch I have a siesta for an hour followed by some more reading. Once or twice a week there is a programme arranged at the meditation hall starting at 5.00pm. Every Saturday at 4.30pm there is a Hindi, Tamil or Malayalam movie shown at the state of the art air conditioned film theatre in the complex. I have seen five films so far. I have also been visiting the Shirdi Sai Baba temple in Saibaba colony, every Thursday evening .On days when there are no preplanned activities in the evening, I join a group of residents who assemble in the basement of the adjacent block for a gossip session which lasts till dinner time at 7.30pm. My group, consists of a retired Air Vice Marshal, who is in his nineties, ex bureaucrats and corporate honchos who are in their seventies and eighties. The discussions are more serious than fun. Post dinner I watch the TV for an hour. It is 9.00pm and time for me to call it a day, as I am a strong believer in the `early to bed and early to rise` policy.

I now know the meaning of a life without any responsibilities in a Home away from Home! Am I enjoying it? Well, I am getting used to the idea but apart from reading & writing I am yet to find activities to keep me busy during the day. Is going spiritual an answer? I must find out.

More details about the facilities available in Phase IV in my next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment