Saturday, March 23, 2024

Yoga at 82

 I have always envied people who have been practicing yoga from a young age to keep themselves fit as a fiddle. Though I had attempted practicing yoga many times before, I had to give up unable to withstand the rigorous training. I found my protruding Madhya Pradesh (generous tummy), considered a sign of prosperity by many, was coming in the way of performing many difficult Asanas.  I remember, as a young boy, when I was thin as a stick, I used to perform Sirasasana inspired by the photo of the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru performing this difficult Asana even in his old age. Of course, I was doing it more as a fun activity then, than as a part of any regular Yoga programme.

After coming to CBE I started attending Chair Yoga sessions arranged by the management of Nana Nani Senior Citizens Home where I am staying now.  It is meant for people like me who need a helping hand to get up if they sit or lie  on the floor or after prostrating before their favourite deities in the temples.

Why yoga at this age?

I was influenced by the experiences of some friends. I recently attended a get-together organized by a good friend in CBE, where he demonstrated his proficiency in performing yogic Asanas.  He had learned it in the last three years from a yogic trainer, five days a week at his home. He is only two weeks older than me. I was amazed at the way he was twisting and turning, performing difficult Asanas with ease. A guy who was suffering from acute depression a  few years ago is now bubbling with energy and enthusiasm. What the deadly medicines he was taking for depression could not do, yoga has done it for him.

A couple of other inmates at the Senior Citizen Home who have been attending the Chair Yoga sessions for a few months told me they were never able to sit or lie down on the floor earlier. Now they can do the same with ease. Some of them have even switched over to regular mat (floor)yoga classes for young and old conducted by the Home, free of charge.

This time I am serious as I have plenty of time and inclination. I find the Chair Yoga not difficult to perform as it is specially designed for seniors. There are about 25 seniors who are in their 70s and 80s attending the session for three days a week. Rest of the week I practice yoga looking at the video of the 45-minute programme available to all the participants.  The young trainer demonstrates each asana in such a way that anyone can follow easily.

 It is three weeks since I started attending the programme. Has it had any effect? Yes indeed! For the last 20 years when I go for my morning walks, the pain in the hip & thigh joints on both sides would make me stop for about 30 seconds before I continue with the walk. I would stop at least four or five times during my 30-minute walk.  Now I find that I can complete my walk with just one or two stops. The yoga teacher told me that this is because yoga has helped to relax my muscles.  I am excited. I am determined to continue the classes with the hope that someday I will be able to walk long distances without breaks, also be able to prostrate before my favourite deities in the temples or sit cross-legged on the floor while performing some rituals which necessitate sitting on the floor. It is better late than never. Om Sairam!

No comments:

Post a Comment